To get started, we need to make sure we have:
- Submitted podcast artwork to your podcast host (max 3000 x 3000 px)
- An existing episode file in the RSS feed
- A link to the RSS feed
- Access to the email included in the RSS feed
- A compatible RSS feed (if you’re using a podcast host, you don’t need to worry about this!)
- Head over to Podcasts Connect – Apple’s podcast management platform
Apple uses Podcasts Connect as a way to manage your podcasts and provides analytics around the podcasts you own.
- Click the ‘+’ icon in the top left corner under the menu to add a new podcast.
- From here, once you have pasted in your RSS feed URL, Apple gives you the option to ‘Validate’ and ‘Submit’ your podcast. Press ‘Validate’.
Once you have pressed ‘Validate’, Apple will display a preview of the RSS feed. Check if the information displayed is correct.
- If we’re happy with Apple’s preview of our podcast, we can go ahead and press ‘Submit’
Now that we have submitted your podcast to Apple Podcasts, your podcast is in line for review. Apple’s approval process can take up to 10 days, however, most podcasts are approved within 72 hours.
Apple will email to confirm that your podcast is under review, and once approved, Apple will send another confirmation email which includes a link to your approved podcast. Alternatively, you can check the status of your podcast in Podcasts Connect.
If your podcast submission was rejected, double check your RSS feed against the podcast requirements set by Apple. Some common reasons for rejection include:
- Podcast artwork not being square – minimum 1400 x 1400 pixels and maximum 3000 x 3000 pixel, JPG or PNG, 72 dpi
- The title conflicting with an existing podcast